- Use the tooltip for brief and concise information that provides complementary information.
- If the information is totally essential for the user’s choice, opt to show it directly in the interface.
- The tooltip should not contain text.
- Choose a modal when the content is too important or requires a complementary action.
- Opt to show the Tooltip below the target element.
- Adapt the opening of the tooltip in relation to the position of the element within the interface.
- The tooltip generally appears when an element is clicked (for desktop versions) or a tapped (for mobile versions).
The Tooltip superimposes itself on the screen. In relation to the position of the element within the interface, it may open from the bottom, the top, the left or the right.
The arrow that links the tooltip to the element must be located at the same level as the target element.